Putting your house on the market can be exciting, but it is usually a stressful time as well. The housing market is especially competitive in California, and you will need to be sure your home is in top shape so you can get what you are asking for.
Whether this is the first home you are selling or the 10th, it can help to know the factors that push a property through closing quickly, as well as those that often cause a sale to stall. Contrary to what some might believe, it is not the fear that a home might be haunted or that someone died on the property. The following are some of the top reasons that homes on the market fall through the cracks:
- The price of your home is too high for the current market. It might be a beautiful property in pristine condition, but housing prices are constantly fluctuating. You need to stay on top of pricing trends in your neighborhood.
- The property needs repair. This cannot be stressed enough – you should take care of repair issues before putting your house on the market. Leaky pipes, drafty windows and cracks in the foundation are enough to send any buyer running.
- Potential homeowners want to visualize themselves living in the house they are considering. Put your home in the best light by updating appliances and staging furnishings and accessories to look warm and inviting.
- There is a health concern. If the home has an odor due to mildew, mold, smoke or pet urine, you will need to have a professional address the issue.
- There are liens showing on the title or paid-off mortgage. Get in touch with the title company or mortgage company to correct these issues. In fact, it is always a good idea to consult with your home’s title company before listing.
The real estate process can be tricky, but if you are savvy in your business decisions, the rewards are often well worth it.